16th Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence 100 km, 50 km & 100km Teams Races
2023 Athletics New Zealand 100 km & 50 km National Championships
About the event
- SCROLL FOR PARTICIPANT LIST:
- LINK FOR RESULTS:
The Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team in Christchurch invites you to participate in our annual ultramarathon at Hagley Park North in Christchurch.
There are 100km and 50km races, which follow a 2.5km loop course. The 100km can be run solo, or as part of a 4 person relay team, with each team member completing 25km.
With a flat course, lap counters and aid stations well stocked with drinks and food to keep you going throughout the entire day - this race is set up for you to do the very best you can.
The 100km & 50km Races are IAU Bronze Label events and incorporate the Athletics New Zealand National 100km & 50km Championships. To be considered for Athletics New Zealand Championship titles, athletes must be registered through an affiliated athletics club in New Zealand.
|100 km Race||1||Vajin||Armstrong||Male||43||Sumner Running||Christchurch|
|100 km Race||2||Keith||Burrows||Male||48||Owairaka Athletics||Auckland|
|100 km Race||3||Jack||Brownie||Male||28||Christchurch|
|100 km Race||4||Alvirg||Busa||Male||40||Kapiti Running||Wellington|
|100 km Race||5||Jack||Culshaw||Male||19||Christchurch|
|100 km Race||6||Lyndon||Dahlberg||Male||47||Papakura Athletic||Cable Bay|
|100 km Race||7||Thomas||Kissel||Male||37||ANZ One Day||Christchurch|
|100 km Race||8||Brian||Lyons||Male||38||Devonport, AUS|
|100 km Race||9||Jesse||Macilquham||Male||27||Christchurch|
|100 km Race||14||Corrina||Black||Female||49||Gold Coast, AUS|
|100 km Race||15||Kerrie||Hanley||Female||49||ANZ One Day||Timaru|
|100 km Race||16||Shannon||Johnstone||Female||50||Don Grieg Stables||Christchurch|
|100 km Race||17||Shannon-Leigh||Litt||Female||44||Hatea Run||Whangarei|
|100 km Race||18||Amanda||Pavey||Female||44||Brisbane, AUS|
|100 km Race||19||Claudia||Thomson||Female||30||Christchurch|
|100 km Team||20||Alex Kelliher||Tribute Band||Christchurch|
|100 km Team||21||Team G.B.||Christchurch|
|50 km Race||29||Logan||Austin||Male||41||Christchurch|
|50 km Race||30||Luke||Anderson||Male||28||Christchurch|
|50 km Race||31||Dave||Candy||Male||59||ANZ One Day||Christchurch|
|50 km Race||32||Stuart||Densie||Male||35||ANZ One Day||Christchurch|
|50 km Race||33||Stephen||Hanley||Male||54||Timaru|
|50 km Race||34||Bryan||McCorkindale||Male||71||Christchurch|
|50 km Race||35||Dayle||McLauchlan||Male||43||Sumner Running||Christchurch|
|50 km Race||36||Dave||Shadbolt||Male||63||Christchurch|
|50 km Race||37||Jim||Styler||Male||46||ANZ One Day||Christchurch|
|50 km Race||38||Hayden||Zervos||Male||25||Wanganui Harriers||Christchurch|
|50 km Race||39||Allan||Staite||Male||47||Hatea Run||Whangarei|
|50 km Race||40||Mel||Aitken||Female||46||Wellington Scottish||Wellington|
|50 km Race||41||Mel||Botha||Female||33||Christchurch|
|50 km Race||42||Valerie||Muskett||Female||69||ANZ One Day||Hampden|
|50 km Race||43||Hannah||Oldroyd||Female||36||Sumner Running||Kaiapoi|
|50 km Race||44||Jaime||Stevenson||Female||46||Bays Athletics||Auckland|
|50 km Race||45||Shirley||Rolston||Female||74||Christchurch|
Location: Hagley Park North
- All events are run on a IAAF/ AIMS certified 2.5 km asphalt loop.
- Lap counters for all athletes.
- Scoreboard updated with each lap after the first hour of the race.
- Two aid stations per lap:
- Food, snacks, water, and Horley's Replace electrolyte drink in the race village.
- Water and Horley's Replace electrolyte drink at 1.25 km.
- Equipment and supporters gear such as tents and personal nutrition/hydration stations may be set up beside the course in the race village area.
- Physical assistance and pacing:
- Pacing of an athlete by vehicles, cyclists, or by a runner not entered for the event is not permitted.
- Support crew may travel alongside an athlete for an appropriate distance to hand over nutrition or hydration, but must not complete a full lap with the athlete.
- Race number must be clearly visible to the lap counters at all times:
- Attach the number to the front and centre of the athlete's top (not to the leg or back).
- Attaching the number to a race belt is advised if the athlete will be changing clothing or removing layers.
- Prizegiving will be held on Sunday (evening of race day) at 7:30 pm at The Lotus-Heart Restaurant (363 St Asaph Street, Christchurch). Note that this is a change from previous years when prizegiving has been held in the park.
- Vegetarian post-race meal for all athletes:
- Held at The Lotus-Heart Restaurant after prizegiving.
- Please sign up during online entry or at race registration on the day.
- Complimentary for entered athletes. Supporters are welcome to purchase a meal for $20.
- 100 km individuals:
- Sri Chinmoy 100 km race
- Athletics New Zealand 100 km Championships (to qualify for Athletics New Zealand titles, athletes must be registered with an Athletics New Zealand-affiliated club)
- 50 km individuals
- Sri Chinmoy 50 km race
- Athletics New Zealand 50 km Championships (to qualify for Athletics New Zealand titles, athletes must be registered with an Athletics New Zealand-affiliated club)
- 100 km teams
- Teams will be made up of four people, each completing 25 km.
- The team category is open and includes teams of all ages and genders.
- One runner on the course at a time.
- Runners will complete their full 25 km distance in a single running shift (this is a change from previous years).
- Runners will change over under the start line banner in front of the lap counters with a physical tag (touching hands).
- Each member of the team will receive a personalised certificate of achievement.
- 06:15 - Registration opens to collect race numbers
- 06:50 - Race briefing
- 07:00 - All races start
- 19:00 - All races cut off
- 19:30 - Prizegiving followed by post-race dinner (both held at The Lotus-Heart Restaurant)
- A vegetarian post-race dinner will be held at The Lotus-Heart Restaurant after the prizegiving (7.30 pm). Please note that this is a change from previous years when prizegiving and post-race dinner has been held in the park.
- The meal is complimentary for all participants.
- Family, friends and supporters are welcome to join for dinner for $20.
|Event||Under 20||Adult (20 to 64)||Senior (65 +)|
|50 km (18 years +)||$140||$150||$140|
|50 km ANZ National Championships (18 years +)||$150||$160||$150|
|50 km ANZ National Championships + One Day ANZ Membership||$160||$170||$160|
|100 km (18 years +)||$190||$200||$190|
|100 km ANZ National Championships (18 years +)||$200||$210||$200|
|100 km ANZ National Championships + One Day ANZ Membership||$210||$220||$210|
|100km Teams (17 years +)||$240||$250||$240|
Athletics New Zealand (ANZ) fees
Athletics New Zealand (ANZ) changes an additional fee for entry into the Championship events. Please select the appropriate option during online entry.
- Athletes who are currently registered with an ANZ-affiliated club: $10 (fee per registered athlete)
- Athletes who are not registered with an ANZ-affiliated club but wish to enter the ANZ Championship event: $20 (fee for one-day membership)
- Online entries close at midnight on Wednesday 1st November 2023.
- On-the-day entries are not accepted due to the preparation required for this event.
- All races are open (no age groups).
- Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team trophies are awarded to the first three male and female runners in individual events.
- Athletics New Zealand medals are awarded to the first three ANZ-affiliated male and female runners in each event.
- A Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team trophy and individual medals for each athlete are awarded to the first-placed team.
- All individual and team participants receive a personalised certificate of achievement.
Results and photos
- Results, photos and a race report will be posted online after the event. Photos can be downloaded free of charge.
Sri Chinmoy 100 km race
- Men's 100 km record: 7:08:37 - Martin Lukes, 2012
- Women's 100 km record: 8:15:21 - Rebecca Toomey, 2019
Sri Chinmoy 50 km race
- Men's 50 km record: 3:28:44 - Jaron Tabak, 2007 [Martin Lukes ran 50 km in 3:24:59 during 2012 100 km Race]
- Women's 50 km record: 3:36:38 - Hannah Oldroyd, 2017
Sri Chinmoy 100 km teams race
- 100 km Teams record: 6:20.35 - Coming from Behind Team, 2019
- The international Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team is a non-profit organisation conducted by the Sri Chinmoy Centre.
- Our races are held as a service to the running community to promote self-transcendence through sports.
- A competitor at any Sri Chinmoy Race across the globe can be assured of the same high standard and quality of care.
2023 Nov 5th16th Sri Chinmoy 100 km/ 50 km Ultras ... Athletics NZ Champs - Results
In cool, windy and generally wet condition conditions, Vajin Armstrong, 7.05.46 (Sumner Running, Christchurch) and Shannon-Leigh Litt, 8.29.05 (Hatea Run, Whangarei) both ran superb races to win the 16th Sri Chinmoy 'Self-Transcendence' 100 km Road Races at Hagley Park North, Christchurch on Sunday 05 November 2023 ... and became the 2023 Athletic New Zealand 100 km national champions.
The 100 km/ 50 km championships were held on a 2.5 km certified course, within the evergreen park.
Vajin hung on through the challenging middle section of the race and eventually took 3 minutes off former champion Martin Lukes’ 2012 course record (7.08.37) ... Martin was present at the finish of the race to congratulate Vajin.
Multiple champ, Keith Burrows, 7.50.06 (Owairaka Athletic, Auckland) ran another brilliant race for second … followed by Jack Brownie, 9.31.33 (Christchurch) in third place and Lyndon Dahlberg, 10.46.12 (Papakura Athletics, Far North) in fourth.
Vajin, Keith and Lyndon won the Athletics New Zealand 100 km gold, silver and bronze championship medals.
Shannon-Leigh had a great ‘come from behind’ victory in the women’s 100 km race to finish just ahead of Aussie 100 km champion Corrina Black, 8.37.59 (Gold Coast).
Shannon Johnstone, 9.53.55 (Don Greig Racing Stables, Christchurch) was third; Amanda Pavey, 10.43.51 (Brisbane AUS) was fourth and Kerrie Handley, 11.49.07 (ANZ One Day, Timaru) was fifth.
Shannon-Leigh, Shannon and Kerrie won the New Zealand women’s 100 km championship medals.
Dayle McLauchlan, 3.15.38 (Sumner Running, Christchurch) and Hannah Oldroyd, 3.23.31 (also Sumner Running, Christchurch) both set outstanding new 50 km course records in the Sri Chinmoy 'Self-Transcendence' 50 km races ... and became the inaugural Athletics New Zealand 50 km national champions.
Hayden Zervos, 3.21.15 (Wanganui Harriers) was the men's 50 km runner-up, followed by Allan Staite, 4.03.24 (Hatea Run, Whangarei).
Mel Aitken, 3.48.28 (Wellington Scottish) was the 50 km women's runner-up, followed by Jamie Stevenson, 4.48.10 (Bays Athletics, Auckland).
In the Sri Chinmoy 100 km 4-person Team's Race the 'Alex Kelliher Tribute Band' team (5.53.46) smashed the 2019 ‘Coming From Behind’ team’s course record by 27 minutes … to finish comfortably ahead of runner-up ‘Team G.B.’ (7.39.48).
Runners, friends and family members attended the 7.30 pm awards ceremony, at the nearby Lotus Heart Indian Vegetarian Restaurant.
Athletics New Zealand's John Bowden presented the 100 km & 50 km championship medals to the leading runners ... followed by a scrumptious, happy, post-race celebrative meal.